Placeholder text, please change
Human Resources » Paraprofessional Questions

Paraprofessional Questions

Berrien County Schools employees paraprofessionals at every grade level. We have multiple paraprofessional types ranging from Pre-K paras, Special Ed paras, ISS paras, media center paras, computer lab paras, kindergarten paras, etc.  We hire paraprofessional through out the school year as needed. However, our major parapro hiring time is end of May and early June for the following school year. Persons interested in being a paraprofessional will need to apply at our application website at
What do you need to do to qualify to become a paraprofessional?
All paraprofessionals must have a high school diploma or GED at minimum. Many of our paraprofessionals have associate degrees and are working toward teaching degrees.
Paraprofessional Certificates are issued by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission (GaPSC).  GaPSC requirements are listed below:
       " An individual must be employed as a Paraprofessional in a Georgia local unit of administration (LUA) in order to qualify for a Paraprofessional license, which is valid for five years. In addition to employment, the applicant must meet one of the following qualifications: If you are interested in obtaining a Paraprofessional license, you must first seek employment with a Georgia school, which will require a criminal record check. Your certification application package will be submitted by your employer. " ---GAPSC
If you do not have the 60 semester hours or an associate's degree and need to take the GACE parprofessional test, Berrien County Schools is a GACE Paraprofessional test location. Please see our section on GACE testing.